Monday, January 14, 2008

One Mile

That's as far as I got today on the treadmill without stopping.

In the summer, I made an effort to run and get back in shape. I just felt frumpy and had a little baby weight but no baby. I decided it would help if I trained for a half-marathon. I found one that was going to be October 7th, The Tow Path Marathon. I ran the half and finished in 2:21:26.30. Of course Dave beat me and finished at 2:21:26.25. Really, he could have crushed me, but he stayed with me to make sure I finished.

I was so proud of myself. Maybe not that day because I was hoping to run the whole thing with out stopping, but I hit a wall at mile 11 and that's when I had to start my walk/run. I didn't think I would ever get to the finish line. Dave tried to motivate me, but after a while he only irritated me and I told him to shut his pie hole, but maybe not so eloquently. This race was a lot different then running the Cleveland half. At the Cleveland, there were so many people cheering you on. This was in a metroparks setting on a thin path, and and it was TOUGH to not be able to see the end or have people cheering for you.

Looking back though, I ran 11 miles without stopping! That's 11 times better then I did today! The first half-marathon I did was in 2006. Oh man did I suck! I didn't even train for that. This one I at least ran consistently and did the "long runs". I'm sure I could have done a lot better knowing how hard David has trained for his two marathons.

So, one mile. I'm back to the beginning. When I was home all summer, my first run was .50 miles. Then slowly I moved up. I'm hoping I'll be able to increase my distance.

All in all, I did three miles today. Half running and half walking. Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit more running, and slowly the scales will tip back in my favor. Literally.

I even drank 32 oz of water at work today...what an accomplishment!

Baby steps....

No comments: