Sunday, February 24, 2008

San Francisco Fire Drills

Wow, it's been almost two weeks since my last post. A lot has happened. Nothing too exciting...but I've been busy.

After recovering from "Sinus Infection 2008", I went to San Francisco for work. I left last Sunday, the 17th and came back on Thursday the 21st. All in all, it was just an OK trip. Don't get me wrong, it was nice to be sent across the country for training...but I'll share the frustrations that came with it.

  • The weather SUCKED! Don't get me wrong, I know it was freezing in Cleveland and that normally wet and windy sounds good...but not when you don't have a rental car and you have to walk almost everywhere. It was in the 40's! So much for California sunshine.
  • I ended up buying a much used umbrella and a pair of gloves from Walgreen's. The pink gloves went into the trash after they turned my hands BLUE!!! I was terrified it was lead or something since we were so close to China town...but it was probably just an allergy to the dye.
  • During the four nights we were there, the fire alarm went off THREE nights! Of those three alarms, we were evacuated from the building twice! This was frustrating as the alarms went of at 12am, 1am and 4am respectively. Nothing like being woken up to the worst noise in the world. After a while, it was just annoying. To the point that on the third night, I took my time getting ready, as I had already laid out my "fire alarm clothes". The most frustrating part was seeing the upset parents carrying their young children in PJ's who were very scared. And seeing the older couples wake their friends next door. That was really upsetting. Remember, it was cold, and people were out there without coats, shoes or socks.
  • I was sent to a training class for an application I didn't have experience using, or with any clue what my role in that project would be. I made the most of it, but 8-hours a day of sitting behind a computer screen that had NO OUTSIDE INTERNET ACCESS was enough to make me crazy.
  • And I missed Dave. It's a novel idea to think that I'll have a giant king bed to myself...but I missed his company and hogging the blankets just to annoy him. And I know he would have done some more fun things with me...like walk across the Golden Gate Bridge :) You can do this. It only takes an hour round trip! How cool is that?

But it wasn't all a wash. We did get to do a few fun things. We were staying right near Fisherman's Wharf. So we walked there everyday.

  • We rode a trolley car.
  • Walked down Lombard Street (curviest street in the world)
  • Went into the Sir Francis Drake Hotel
  • Walked around Union Square (shopping)
  • Saw the seals at the Wharf
  • And made a visit to Ghiradelli Square (yum! they give free samples)

I don't have much luck traveling via airplane. I always get stuck with...

  • The person who should have two seats (and I'm not trying to be mean)
  • The sniffler...blow your damn nose already!
  • The throat clearer (This was on my 5.5 hour flight to San Francisco)
  • The bad movies
  • The bad movie screen view..you know, the one right above our head.
  • The middle seat...ALWAYS!!!
  • The person who crinkles their bagel bag in your ear when you're trying to sleep!
  • The people who are rowdy and play cards the whole flight to Vegas and don't shut up once in 4-hours. They are so loud you can hear them over the in-flight movie!
  • The drunk guy who smells like a bar and chats the whole flight home from Vegas.

Note to reader...don't sit with me on a flight...it's not going to be pretty!

I'm going to try and post some pictures of San Francisco. It is a really pretty place when the sky is blue.

Here is a link to my pictures...I'm working on adding the slideshow to my blog, but it's not working.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24104769@N04/show/

No comments: