Monday, June 16, 2008

Book Review

Well, it's summer, and a lot of people find time to read in the summer...so I thought I would share a book suggestion.



A few weeks ago, I finished a book that is currently on our Book Club list. It wasn't the current book, but I thought I would read ahead. Any how, the book is called, "Pretty is What Changes" by Jessica Queller.



I have to be honest, I could not put this book down. It was fabulous. Interesting, educational, and thought provoking. An all around excellent discussion piece. I did not feel overwhelmed by medical jargon, and it never made me cry. It's a very touching book.







Here is a short description of the book:
TV writer Queller (The Gilmore Girls) was 31, single and healthy when her mother succumbed to ovarian cancer at the age of 58, having battled breast cancer six years earlier. Queller chronicles her mother's long and anguished struggle in vivid detail. After her mother's death, at the suggestion of an acquaintance, Queller opted to discover whether she carries the breast cancer gene; indeed, she tested positive for the BRCA-1 gene mutation, which gave her an 87% chance of breast cancer before age 50 and a 44% chance of ovarian cancer in her lifetime. With this knowledge in hand, Queller began the journey toward her pivotal choice: a prophylactic double mastectomy at age 35. Along the way she traveled between the West Coast and New York City, seeking medical opinions, information and unsuccessfully—but not for lack of trying—a man she can love who will father her children before she follows up with voluntary surgery to remove her ovaries. This Hollywood writer's story is seamless and gripping; readers will be rooting for Queller and her heroic decision to confront her genetic destiny. (Apr.)




I am a need to know person. At least I say that now. One will never know what they would do, or what they are capable of, until they are actually faced with those decisions.




I took a personal interest in this book for many reasons. I would love for every female family member, friend, and colleague I know to read this book. To gain some knowledge, share the information with another friend, and just be aware.




If you do read it, let me know. I'd love to have someone else I know read so I can chat about it with someone. Dave can only fain interest for so long :)

No comments: