Friday, March 28, 2008

eBay Story

So, I've been meaning to post about a crazy eBay story that happened to Dave and I a few weeks ago. We were selling our PlayStation 2 so that Dave can buy a Nintendo Wii. Yeah, because that's what we need. Anyhow, back to my story.

We've been buying/selling stuff on eBay since 2002. So we're pretty familiar with the process.

I woke up early on Saturday the 15th to get ready for a wedding shower. I went and checked eBay and saw that someone had bought the PlayStation. This was great. The guy who bought it emailed my Yahoo account. Here's his email.

Hi Seller,
Am glad to get back to you in regards to the payment for the eBay item. I am so happy to be the winning bidder of this item. Well i bought this item as a gift for my son who is currently studying foreign language in west Africa and i am so sorry for not getting you aware before. I have sent the payment via PayPal and i have received the confirmation that you have been sent the confirmation of the payment. Moreover, i included the shipping cost of the item to the payment, so just get me informed immediately the item is shipped first thing in the morning and make sure the item is shipped via USPS Global Express Mail EMS. My son's address is:
Name: O.F.Martins
Address: Transformer Road Oluyole Estate
City: IbadanState: Oyo State
Country: NigeriaPost Code: 23402P
hone #: +2348063014998

Thats the shipping address and i want you to get back to me as soon as you ship out the item and thanks for the concept of the business...

I was a little surprised by the email because he was SO BOSSY...and he was telling me to ship the PlayStation to Nigeria! NIGERIA!! Hello, the eBay listing said we would only ship in the United States!! So I printed the email so I could read it to Dave who was in bed sick. Before I logged off the computer though, I looked at my Yahoo account, and there was a PayPal email indicating that the eBay buyer had paid an extra $100 to account for the shipping to Nigeria.

So I went and told Dave. He was not happy about the whole thing and used a few superlatives to express his irritation. I just said, whatever, the guy paid an extra $100. If it costs more then that, I'm not going to ship it. Dave was fine with that.

So, after we packed up the PlayStation and printed out an address label, Dave was getting ready to bring it to the car. I ran back in the house for one more thing....and said "You know what, I'm going to login to my PayPal account and verify that the payment came through because of this whole Nigeria business". I logged into PayPal, and sure as shit, the money wasn't there. Wasn't pending, wasn't nothing! No where to be seen was this almost $200 dollars. So, I printed the PayPal email to read it in more detail. That's when I noticed it didn't look right.

Here is an excerpt from the email that was in fine print at the very bottom:
NOTE: This PayPal® payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been " APPROVED" but will not be credited to your account until the shipment reference/tracking number is sent to us for shipment verification so as to secure both inequalities (Buyer & Seller) from online fraudulent activities.

Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited.You will have to email us the tracking number to the PayPal Customer Care at: paypal@accountsverification.net .

As soon as we receive the shipment tracking number from you, you will receive a " CONFIRMATION EMAIL" concerning the accreditation of the funds into your PayPal Account and we shall get the funds credited into your PayPal Account within 24 hours.

I also noticed that the email was sent from:
"service@paypal.com" paypal@accountsverification.net

I called PayPal and they said it was a scam.
1. They never require a tracking number for shipment to be given before payment is received
2.The email came from a non-PayPal website (accountsverification.net)
3.A legitimate PayPal email would be addressed to me, by my full name, NOT my email address.

We almost shipped our PlayStation to Nigeria at the cost of $100+ in shipping!!!

Can you believe that? Nuts. Dave called eBay to tell them, and they told him that the eBay user name that was being used, has had this problem. Someone has hijacked a "good" eBayers account using a third party software and is doing all of these scams. So, if you ever sell something to an "Eric Diehl" or "ericdieheric" then watch your wallet!

Lesson learned for us. Fortunately, we didn't ship anything, or lose any money. Take it as a lesson learned. Make sure your emails from PayPal are really from PayPal.com. Otherwise, if you click on one of the links in the fraud email, you may expose your personal banking information. Lucky for us we didn't click on any of the links.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

wow! i had this happen to, i foget what i was selling but the wanted to moneygram the money to me, i said no so they said they would use paypal and i got the same email, i contacted paypal and they had me forward the email to them, sure enough scam, they told me what they told you.
I tend to not ship anything with out the money being in the paypal account first now, just another way to get our hard earned money!
I'm glad you caught on !

Joy said...

Holy cow! *rushing off to send this post to everyone I know*

Anonymous said...

I got the same exact thing as wellbut from a different person! I was trying to sell my XBox 360 for a Nintendo Wii. I googled the email address and got your blog, I'm relieved that I'm not going completely insane. I think it's called a 419 scam.

Unknown said...

yea i was selling an iPod Touch when three of these people all with the same story wanted to buy it for $450 asap?! i clued in pretty fast and when i got the paypal email requesting some sort of authentication i googled the domain and found this! yay for the smarties

the funny part is, its the same person with the same address that they wanted it shipped to... so from now on im not shipping to africa, period.

Noah D. Creamer said...

Thank you very much for posting this blog! I am unfortunately the latest - almost victim - of this same scam. My jaw hit the floor when I saw the exact word for word email in your blog. Thank you so much for posting this. I almost became a victim of this scam. You saved me a lot of heartache and headache. Sincerely N

Unknown said...

Yes, i am so glad i read this as well. The person who sent me this email was trying to buy my iPhone. I asked them to bid on eBay repeatedly and they dodged the question each time. She was using the name Cynthia Johnson (jesterscyn@hotmail.com) and has positive feedback on eBay as a buyer. However, the emails did come from accountsverification.net. I being an auditor looked it up and did not find that domain name on paypal or the rest of the WWW. then i googled it, and voila! your post appeared. I am reporting this to eBay!

Unknown said...

Well folks, same story here, luckily I was smart to do research and did not fall for the trap. By the way, I contacted paypal and submitted the scam site to their spoof investigations team. Upon further research, I did a domain search for the site: accountsverification.net and here is what I g0t:

Domain Name.......... accountsverification.net
Creation Date........ 2008-02-08
Registration Date.... 2008-02-08
Expiry Date.......... 2009-02-08
Organisation Name.... Barnett J Grier
Organisation Address. 6595-G Roswell Rd
Organisation Address. Suite 713
Organisation Address. Atlanta
Organisation Address. 30328
Organisation Address. GA
Organisation Address. UNITED STATES

Admin Name........... Barnett J Grier
Admin Address........ 6595-G Roswell Rd
Admin Address........ Suite 713
Admin Address........ Atlanta
Admin Address........ 30328
Admin Address........ GA
Admin Address........ UNITED STATES
Admin Email.......... paypal@accountsverification.net
Admin Phone.......... +1.404-557-5840
Admin Fax............

Tech Name............ Microsoft Office Live
Tech Address......... One Microsoft Way
Tech Address.........
Tech Address......... Redmond
Tech Address......... 98052
Tech Address......... WA
Tech Address......... UNITED STATES
Tech Email........... support@officelive.com
Tech Phone........... +1.8665915483
Tech Fax.............
Name Server.......... ns1.officelive.com
Name Server.......... ns2.officelive.com

I really hope the cops or someone can do something about this! Somebody should deactivate the site for fraud/scam. God knows how many people this person has scammed already.

Unknown said...

The same thing happened to me. Everything, including the part where eBay told me that the other persons account was hijacked.

Also, the person sent me a fake paypal email saying something about taking LEGAL ACTIONS on me because I have not shipped the item...

pretty funny actually.

Anonymous said...

Well I really wish I would have read this e-mail before... Or just not trusted my so call friend. I am currently dealing with this scam. We have already shipped our PSP and we are trying to get it back... I spent all my money on the shipping because my friend had told me it was ok it wasn't a scam. I trusted him. And that was my mistake. I was just about to get a tattoo with the extra money I would be making on our PSP. But I'm glad I didn't spend money I didn't have.

I really don't understand why I even thought it was ok to send it off to Nigeria. I guess I was just so happy it finally sold. I have just learned that I need to be wayyy more careful with what I do.

Thanks again for posting this. It's very helpful.

Winnie Tam said...

The same thing happened to me today. I am very grateful for your alert! :)

Unknown said...

The same exact thing happened to me, The SAME EXACT PERSON to be exact. It is the same address that you listed and the same person trying to buy my ps2 on ebay, i did not send it because i had noticed it wasn't from paypal@service.com, it was from the accountsverification.net also., people need to be aware of this buyer, also, this buyerhacked a different account that was from the UK, the account was rocket something. THIS GUY NEEDS TO BE CAUGHTTT!!!!!!!!!!!

Sal Compton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sal Compton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sal Compton said...

SORRY PEOPLE .... HAVING COMPUTER ISSUES TODAY!!!

I almost got done aswell!!! Thank you soooo much for poting this on the net.

My story was a little different. I am currently selling my car, and I was contact by "Michelle Rowam", wanting to purchase it for her Dad as a surprise (1st alarm bell went off here). She said that she was at sea at the moment and didn't have access to internet banking, but could pay through PayPal.
Then the alarm bells really started sounding! I received another email from her saying that she was going to have an "agent" collect the car as she was at sea (for work) at the moment. She said that I would need to complete a Western Union transfer for her for $1000 and she would add this to the total she was sending through to my PayPal account along with an additional $100 for any fees which should have only totalled $60.

I then received an email from "jesterscyn@gmail.com on behalf of service@paypal.com.au [onlineaccountverifier@accountant.com]" Which said that the money had been withdrawn from the purchasers account and they they were now waiting on confirmation of the western union transfer from me and then all the funds would be released into my account within 12 hours. The english/grammar in this supposed email from PayPal was pretty bad, and that was my final alarm bell!!

I called PayPal, they have laughed as soon as I started my story and then they finished it for me! Down to them even requesting extra pictures of the car! (Wow, I feel pretty silly, but I did think that it should be ok since I wouldnt be handing the keys of the car to anyone until I had all the funds...).

Anyway, thank you sooo much for posting this, and to everyone else for adding their stories also!